When Nemaha Valley Schools (USD 442) first started the school improvement process, the teachers spent a lot of time writing and re-writing educational goals. Two reasons for such scrutiny was a desire to make sure all areas of the curriculum were addressed while trying to create goals that moved into the future. These goals – or Exit Outcomes – are pictured below:
This week, I received a copy of the proposed new standards for the business finance pathway. These standards included the following proposed standards:
Common Career Technical Core (CCTC) Standards (Overarching – Governs
all Kansas clusters)–
1. Act as a responsible and contributing citizen and employee.
2. Apply appropriate academic and technical skills
3. Attend to personal health and financial well-being.
4. Communicate clearly, effectively and with reason
5. Consider the environmental, social and economic impacts of decisions.
6. Demonstrate creativity and innovation.
7. Employ valid and reliable research strategies
8. Utilize critical thinking to make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
9. Model integrity, ethical leadership and effective management.
10. Plan education and career path aligned to personal goals.
11. Use technology to enhance productivity.
12. Work productively in teams while using cultural/global competence.
These new CCTC (Common Career Technical Core) Standards seem to be very similar to the goals of Nemaha Valley Schools. With consolidation, Nemaha Central Schools (USD 115) will be looking at a new mission, vision and possibly goals. I would like to propose that we adopt these CCTC (Common Career Technical Core) Standards as our district goals.