In the May issue of Learning & Leading with Technology, the article, “Don’t Feed the Trolls,” discusses being civil when writing blogs or commenting on blogs. Below are some recommended guidelines for use when participating in any form of digital communication.
- Use “I” statements to make it clear that you are speaking for yourself.
- Don’t use name calling.
- Avoid labeling groups of people.
- Discuss ideas, not people.
- Don’t respond to provocations.
- Stay on topic.
- Be willing to realy listen to points of view that are different from your own, recognizing that others are allowed to have opinions different from yours.
- Realize that what you say and what others think you said may be two different things. If there is a misunderstanding, try to clarify your position.